Predici si cuvantari audio

Projects of the monastery

Saints of the day

Newsletter Manastirea Partos

It was buit on the site of an ancient monastic church between 1750-1753 by Marcu Muțiu, jude and one of the most wealthiest inhabitants of Timisoara, as a sign of gratitude towards the monastery which gave him his first knowledge of reading and writing and as a testimony of his attachment  to the ancestral faith. It also seems, at the same time, that buiding the edifice also signifies  the gratitude for the great benevolance  of St. Joseph the new - his daughter, being seriously ill, was cured at the tomb of the Saint.

The Church is 24 m long, 9 m wide. It is very high and fitted with two towers. Located at the junction of Sunset and Sunrise, the big Church is built bearing the strong Western influences that are seen in both the architecture of the whole edifice (Baroque architecture) and in that of the iconostasis and its painting. The arrangement of icons on the iconostasis, fails to comply with the traditional Byzantine arrangement , and the royal icons are missing altogether.

However the iconostasis, a splendid and imposing work of art, is the greatest wealth of the Church. It has been very well preserved over the centuries that have passed and is now considered by art specialists the most beautiful rural baroque art in the country. There are also present, even if not in abundance, some rococo elements.

It seems that the Church was never painted  but only adorned with ornamental motifs. The whole thought of the believer can thus focus on the altar. On the table of the Holy Altar is kept a shrine since 1815 and a reliquary with fragments  of St Joseph the New's relics.

In front of the Holy doors, under a nicely built slab of stone, with letters hard to decipher,  rest starting with 1771 the bones of the founder , Marcu Muțiu and his family, fact also confirmed by  
by a commemorative marble plaque placed on the outer wall of the church.

The main tower of the Church is endowed with three beautiful bells.
Currently the churches holiday is "Ascension of the Holly Cross", although in old times it seems that it was the "Assumption of Mary", a fact confirmed to by an old anthemis dating from the beginnings of the sanctum's first walls.

In this church the monastery's inhabitants praise God through daily worship, always attended by both believers from Partos village for which the edifice has been a parish church for almost 300 years, as well as by pilgrims of these blessed lands.