Predici si cuvantari audio

Projects of the monastery

Saints of the day

Newsletter Manastirea Partos

The oldest documentary mention that is known about this monastic settlement dates from 1571, after 19 years from the occupation of Banat by the Turks, when hieromonk Laurentiu, on his way to Brasov and Alba Iulia, stays for a long period of time here and makes beneficence a print from 1562.

The Austrian map of Banat from 1723 describes the monastery as isolated, surrounded by ample forests and swamps. Therefore, the monastery had passed through the 164 years of Ottoman domination and through the battles that took place on this period, when a very big part of the monastery’s documents and books were lost or destroyed. Then, everything that was left was put aside, after abolishment. In the heavy winter of the year 1777, as the letters from that time say, monks depart sadly, because they are leaving the tomb with the relics of Saint Joseph without protection.

Place sanctified through the facts and the relics of Saint Joseph the New of Partos, whereto the pilgrim from Timisoara is approaching, in 1749, demanding protection on the long journey to Jerusalem and where Marcu Muţiu builds, in 1750, the beautiful church, the monastery will continue its mission of defending Orthodoxy. After four years of abolishing, in 1782, the Protopope Ioan Şuboni, leaves as a gift of gratitude, a good craftsman to paint, apparently, after a missing icon, the face of Saint Joseph that is kept even today. Nowadays, the monastery is celebrating its titular saint on the Holy Cross Day, when believers come, as in the past, to pray, although the old patron saint is celebrated on the day of Holy Archangels Michael and Gabriel.

In 1944, under the care of the Diocesan Centre, the monastery has been reactivated, and nuns were established here. In the years of communism the monastic life from here was interrupted, and the place was taken by the parish of Partos. Between the years 1955-1956 excavations are carried out inside the old church. In 1956 the relics of Saint Joseph the New are removed from the tomb and brought to the Metropolitan Cathedral for the purpose of formal sanctification, where they are kept even today.

On the 6th of March 2008, the Holy Synod of the Metropolitan Church of Banat, that met under the presidentship of His Eminence Metropolitan Nicolae of Banat, decided, on a proposal from the Diocesan Council, re-establishing the monastery of Partoș, with destination for monks.

After the monastery was refounded, there were executed major renovations and repairs of the interior of the two churches and the whole premises.

On the 8th of November 2012, the ”Queen Elisabeth House”, settled on the neighbourhood of the monastery was inaugurated. It includes a museum collection and a vast library.